Monday, September 1, 2008

Monkeying around

Did a little web surfing on modern netsuke artists this morning and ran into a couple online articles by collector Robert O. Kinsey. 

The first is a collection of monkeys ...am totally in love with that Gibbon by Alex Igunatius...those arms are wonderful.  

The second article is a listing of contemporary netsuke artists and examples of their work. 

When I started to play around with Polymer clay netsuke art was my inspiration. Even though I am modeling clay vs carving wood or ivory, it is the playfulness and skill that draws me to the art. I'd say of the four pieces it is my interpretation of Leapfrog that carries through most on this idea.



Although it is small at less than 5 inches square it is nowhere as small as the thumbsize tradition of netsuke. I am in awe of some of the talent these carvers have...put a knife in my hand and I'd probably cut my thumb off :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments, your opinions will help format the content of this site. Comments will be reviewed for content and then posted.