Sunday, October 12, 2008

Liquid Metal Sculpture

I've got something a  bit unusual for the art site of the week...liquid metal sculpture. Romanian based Mihai Cirlanaru builds his sculptures drop by drop with melted tin. The painstaking process he shows in his workshop is fascinating to me, I especially like his Birth of a Mith with outstretched wings that seem to capture the underlying boneset of form.

We've had our first snow of the year here, I've got about 6 inches of snow weighing down the top of the hedge in front of our picture window. Most of the leaves haven't even changed color yet, but they will as soon as the sun returns and things warm up again.

Just a reminder....voting registration ends in just a few days for most of the country. I don't talk politics, but the economy issue seems pretty important to working artists at both the national, state and city level, so your voice needs to be heard too.