Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Koi Pond Sculpture Art Pendant

I did this piece over the weekend and am quite pleased with the end result. The photo captures the idea but loses the depth of the original piece. The Koi are raised up almost a half inch from the concave 'pond' which is painted in Pearl Ex duo colors so that it changes color depending on how the light hits it. The fish throw their own interesting shadows for interest too. 

I recorded the whole process on my WIP section of my website if you would like to see the entire process (loads of steps...took a whole two days with mold making, multiple bakings, color treatments and multi-varnish coats). You can also click on the above photo to see a little larger image (you can right click and choose to view it in a new window). 

Sometimes I don't know where I get the idea for stuff like this. I like Koi and for years I've downloaded different photo references, knowing that someday I'd want to probably paint some. But the urge never developed into an actual painting. One Koi is not as interesting as a group of koi, so the only way I could sculpt it was in a multiple format. But who would think of making a pond to wear around your neck? A couple weeks ago (these things ferment for a little while) I would have said a resounding 'not me!' lol But then you get this picture in your head that won't go away. The logistics should chase it right back out, but part of the fun is trying to figure out how to make it work. I knew the steps I wanted to use to make the fish, but I just sat down and winged the rest, counting on intuition to help me along. You are never sure if something will work the way you envision it for sure. Trust me...many a piece has failed miserably in this sort of process. But I think all my years of experience are finally working in my favor, I think I've learned what I'm capable of and know that I need to stretch my limits to grow. I just make sure I don't stretch beyond the laws of nature...that only works for scientists who discover new laws...Koi ponds I can manage but you'll see no E=MC3 from me! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments, your opinions will help format the content of this site. Comments will be reviewed for content and then posted.