Saturday, December 13, 2008

Artistic Vision


I just read a blog by "thebeadedlily" about the value of a vision and it got me to thinking about what exactly my own vision is. In a nutshell, I want to create totally unique, wearable art, jewelry designs that involve thnking outside the box, things that could only come out of my own little warped mind :) Every time I approach making a new concept piece I'm either thinking about how to use materials in a new way or how to take a technique from another medium and use it in the medium I choose. I take inspiration from anything that catches my fancy at the moment, and I stretch the boundaries of that object to fit the boundaries of jewelry...it has to have flow, craftsmanship, imagination and beauty. The uniqueness is my own thing, I personally love to own the unusual if I can, so that's the type of person I create for. I also take inspiration from other artists, but instead of using their design I like to take individual components and tie them into a piece I'm working on in a new way. This is a lot harder than it sounds, but it's also a lot more fun than doing something that's already been done. I usually start out with one idea that goes through 20 or more design phases before I get a finished piece. Some ideas just won't work, or they work and don't quite give me the effect I want. If I change one component, then the other components have to be re-thought...or else there won't be a flow. I also very much create for myself...as far as the design goes, it has to fit my aesthetic. But as far as wearing the piece, well, I will enjoy it for a little while but my neck or wrist is not the one that the piece is meant for. That person is out there somewhere and it is already theirs, they are the one person in the world that I created it for, they just don't know it yet. "thebeadedlily" started her blog with a quote from Vincent Van Gogh; “I can't change the fact that my paintings don't sell. But the time will come when people will recognize that they are worth more than the value of the paints used in the picture." Vincent had it right...he knew he had a vision of worth and he never quit even though he only sold one painting in his whole life. A vision has to be made real to have value and is something that evolves with each step; they take a lifetime to achieve. I'm with Vincent, I believe a time will come.
Sue
http://www.1000markets.com/shops/ninedragons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments, your opinions will help format the content of this site. Comments will be reviewed for content and then posted.